Independent Film Sales Limited and Independent Film Productions Limited (Independent Entertainment) are a film sales agency and film and TV production company.
Our contact details are as follows:
Address: 195 Wardour Street, London W1F 8ZG
Telephone Number: +44 (0) 207 257 8734
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
For the purpose of the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), the GDPR as incorporated into English Law, and the Data Protection Act 2018 (together the Data Protection Laws) Independent Entertainment is the data controller of the personal information referred to in this policy.
About this Policy
We are committed to protecting and respecting your privacy. In this policy you will find information about the types of information we hold about you, how and why we collect it, how we use it, and how we keep it secure. This policy also tells you about your rights and how you can exercise them and how the law protects you. Please read it carefully to understand our views and practices regarding your personal information and how we will treat it.
What personal information we collect
We only collect the personal information that we need in order to carry out our business. Depending on who you are, this may include:
- Your name and contact information such as your address, email address and telephone number;
- Your payment details and financial information (e.g. your bank name, account number and sort code);
- Your identification information such as your passport details;
- Information you provide to us when making enquires via our website, or when you correspond with us via phone, e-mail or otherwise (including if you apply for a job with us); and/or
- Information about you that may be included in cast/crew contracts or call sheets that have been provided to us by our production partners.
Sometimes we may also collect your diversity information (including information about your ethnicity, gender, age, race, religion, disability or sexual orientation) if, for example, it is necessary to provide it to film festivals, trade organisations or governmental bodies (eg. the BFI) for diversity purposes.
How we collect your personal information
We collect your personal information:
- When you provide it to us;
- When it is provided to us by third parties, in particular by production companies who may have produced a film you are involved in;
- When you engage with us on social media;
- From publicly available sources (including industry databases such as CINANDO and IMDBPRO);
- If you are a supplier, when you provide services to us.
Why we process your personal information
We process your personal information so that we can:
- Provide film sales agency services to our clients and promote their films;
- Perform our obligations under any contracts that we have with you;
- Promote our own services;
- Engage with our suppliers and keep records of transactions we have with them;
- Comply with our legal and regulatory obligations; and
- Prevent fraud.
Legal basis for processing
There are a number of different legal grounds for processing personal information. Which one is applicable will depend on precisely how we are processing your personal information and for what purpose. Most commonly we will rely on one of the following legal grounds:
- For the performance of our contract with you or to take steps at your request before entering into a contract;
- To pursue our legitimate business interests (or those of a third party) and your fundamental rights do not override those interests. Our legitimate business interests may include our interests in providing effective film sales agency services and advice to our clients, promoting our clients and their films, promoting our business, and carrying out our administrative and operational functions.
- Where you have given consent;
- To comply with our legal and regulatory obligations;
If we process any ‘special categories’ of your personal information (including, for example, information about your race, ethnicity or sexual orientation), we will usually rely on the fact that you have given us your specific consent to do so, unless there is otherwise a legal requirement for us to process such information, or you have put the information into the public domain.
How we share your personal information
We may share your personal information with any of the following for the purposes described in this policy: production partners; financiers; distributors; broadcasters; collection agents; film festivals; governmental bodies; and, agents, contractors, or service providers. We may also share your personal information with law enforcement agencies, other governmental agencies or third parties if we are required by law to do so; our professional advisers; other business entities should we plan to merge with or be acquired by that business entity, or if we undergo a re-organisation with that entity.
Transferring your personal information to outside of the UK and the EEA
Where we transfer your personal information to countries outside of the UK and the EEA we will ensure that it is protected and transferred in a manner consistent with legal requirements applicable to the personal information concerned. This can be done in a number of different ways, for example, the country to which we send the personal information may have been assessed by the European Commission as providing an “adequate” level of protection for personal information, or, the recipient may have signed a contract based on standard contractual clauses approved by the European Commission. In other circumstances, the law may permit us to otherwise transfer your personal information to countries outside of the UK and the EEA.
Under the Data Protection Laws, and subject to some exemptions, you have the right to request access to, correct, erase, or restrict the processing of, or request the deletion of, your personal information and to exercise a right to data portability in certain circumstances. You may also have the right to object to us processing your personal information. If you would like to exercise any of these rights, please contact us using the email address given above or for more information see the Information Commissioner’s website here. If you have any concerns about our use of your personal information, you also have the right to make a complaint to the Information Commissioner’s Office, which regulates and supervises the use of personal data in the UK, via their helpline on 0303 123 1113.
How long will we keep your information?
We will only keep the information we collect about you for as long as required for the purposes set out above or as required to comply with any legal obligations to which we are subject.
To prevent unauthorised access or disclosure, we have put in place suitable procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect and store about you.
Changes to this policy
Any changes we make to our policy in the future will be posted on this page and, where appropriate, notified to you by e-mail. Please check back frequently to see any updates or changes to our policy.
This policy was last updated June 2021.